Mr. H. Powell was appointed curator of the re-established garden of 13 acres in 1890. He proved excellent and the garden soon regained its former glory. A keen friendship grew between him and a Dr. H. A. Nicholls of Dominica, a keen naturalist, with whom he had many valuable exchanges of plants. After the disastrous 1898 hurricane Dr. Nicholls came to Powell’s aid and largely replenished his stocks.
In 1904 Powell was transferred to British East Africa, and William Sands, his successor, was appointed St. Vincent’s first Superintendant of Agriculture.